Passport FAQs

  • Is there anyone who can submit the passport application in person, on my behalf?

It will be considered to be the best option, if you can submit your own application, in person. But if there is an emergency, a third party can also submit the application on your behalf. In that case, the third party has to show some documents and have to abide by some rules. Those are:

  1. He has to show identification.
  2. He must be 16 years of age or older.
  3. He has to be your:
  • Parent
  • Child
  • Parent’s spouse or common law partner
  • Child’s spouse or common-law partner
  • Brother or sister
  • Half-brother or half-sister
  • Stepbrother or stepsister
  • Spouse or common law partner
  • Relatives of your spouse or common-law partner, including their parent, child, parent’s spouse or common law partner, child’s spouse or common law partner, brother or sister, half-brother or half-sister
  • Stepbrother or stepsister

Make sure that in all cases, the passport official must be able to verify the information of the application, which is submitted by the third party. If any situation arises where they are not able to verify the information, they will not accept your application.

The list of the people mentioned above may live in your address or may not. In all the cases, he has to bring a proper identification document. If those documents state that the person is not living in your address, they have to bring a written statement along with them where there will be a signature of yours, which will prove that you are authorizing that person to submit that application on your behalf.

Also, if any one of your relative is living on your address, he or she can also submit your passport application on your behalf if they meet certain criteria like:

  • They are 16 years old or above
  • They have to show the valid documents of their identification, which will be serve as a proof and if their identification document doesn’t have any address proof, you have to show any other document that will validate your address.

Make sure that the authority will not accept urgent or express applications, which will be submitted by the third party.

  • What is the place where I can to submit my passport application?

Submitting of your application will depend on where you are residing. It can be:

  • In Canada
  • In the USA
  • Abroad


  • Is the presence of my child mandatory when I am submitting on behalf of him or her?

In case of the passport application for my child, parents are the applicants instead of child, if the child is under 16. And that implies that, the presence of your child is not needed when you are submitting the application.

Anyone below the age of 16 is not qualified to submit the passport application.

  • Does the authority keep all the documents with themselves, if I submit those documents in passport office in person?

No. After the examining all of your documents, the officer will give it back to you. And if you are applying for your passport through receiving a receiving agent, there is a chance that they will keep your documents along with your application.

  • How the passport will be delivered to me?

In Canada- Your passport service will be delivered to you through Canada post courier. Also, if you are applying in person in passport office, you can pick it up from there by paying an additional fee.

In the United States- You will get your passport by private courier services

Abroad- You have to contact your nearest Government of Canada office.

  • What is the address where I can send my passport application?

You can utilize courier services, or you can simply mail your application. Courier service will be best for you because it will cut down the delivery time of your passport application.

If you are living in Canada or US:

Address for mail:

Government of Canada
Passport program
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0G3

Address, if you are opting for courier

Government of Canada
Passport program
22 de Varennes Street
Gatineau, Quebec J8T 8R1

In case, if you are living outside Canada, you have to get in touch with the nearest government of Canada office.

  • Is it possible to send the applications of all my family members in one envelope?

Yes, you can do that. All you have to do is to place each application in smaller envelope along with the supporting documents and photos.

You can also pay at once for the coverage of all the applications.